When choosing the right remodeling professional you must look for a person you feel will provide you with the best possible service available. Earlier this week we discussed questions regarding what client services you should expect from a professional remodeler. In addition to these questions, you must also consider the contractor’s qualifications. Is the contractor a reliable, professional remodeling contractor? The following questions will help you establish whether or not the contractor is a reputable professional. Affiliations and Education:
- Does the remodeling professional have recognized industry designations? Are they certified by the NAHB as a Certified Graduate Remodeler (CGR)?
- Is the remodeling professional a member of professional trade organizations such as NAHB, NARI, NKBA, Remodelers Advantage, RCA, Chamber of Commerce, Better Business Bureau, etc?
- Has the remodeling professional achieved numerous industry awards for residential design, kitchens, general business and construction?
- Does the remodeling professional attend regular trade seminars and do they provide industry education for their employees?
- Are the remodeling professionals well established in the community?
- Does the remodeling professional promote professionalism in the industry through its image, policies and actions?
- Can they provide multiple references from clients within the past 12 months? Past three years?
- Can the remodeling professional provide financial references to attest to its good standing and business practices?
- Is the remodeling professional interested in understanding my expectations of the project to ensure our satisfaction?
- Do they specialize in home remodeling and truly understand the nuances of owner-occupied construction?
- Has the remodeling professional provided a copy of their state registration number as required by law?
- Does the remodeling professional provide comprehensive design services and preliminary budgeting?
- Will the remodeling professional provide a complete written contract specification, a fixed price contract with start and stop dates and accurate working drawings?
- Will the remodeling professional provide a written change order for contract variations prior to starting the work?
- Will the remodeling professional explain contract exclusions so that there are no hidden surprises?
- Will the remodeling professional provide a contract with a 3-day Right of Rescission as required by law?
- Will the remodeling professional submit and obtain the necessary permits for my job on my behalf?
- Is the remodeling professional insured for Workers Compensation and General Liability? Are their subcontractors insured?
- Does the remodeling professional have a two year warranty and will stand behind their product?
- Does the remodeling professional have a zero tolerance policy forbidding alcohol and drug use on the job?
- Will they follow up with me after the job is completed to ensure my satisfaction?
- Will they treat my home as if it was their own?
Remodeling can be very rewarding and enjoyable, especially after the work is complete. Don’t accept less than a design-build remodeling expert to design and remodel your home. Remember to ask for references, make sure the contractor’s insurance coverage meets all the minimum requirements, and check credentials. Asking the right questions will help you find the right professional for the job and will strongly increase your chance of having a successful project. Happy Remodeling!